blank.gif (65 Byte)
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
 
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
 
 
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
 
 
 
 
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
 
Occupation of Austria 1945-1955
from www.aeiou.at - Video Album
© Copyright:
Das ist Österreich
Producer: unknown
Austria, around 1955
 
The occupying forces on parade, Heldenplatz, Vienna, 1955
"Four men in a jeep", patrol of the four Allied forces in Vienna.
(Image: Votova)
During the last weeks of World War II, Allied troops occupied the whole of Austria: Soviet Russia Lower Austria, Vienna, Burgenland and large parts of Styria, the USA Upper Austria, the provinces of Salzburg and Tyrol, the French Vorarlberg, Britain parts of Carinthia, Styria and East Tyrol, and Yugoslavia the southern part of Carinthia. On July 4, 1945 an agreement was reached on the First Control Agreement and the occupation zones. The Soviet zone encompassed Lower Austria under the borders of 1937, Burgenland and the Mühlviertel region in northern Upper Austria; the United States took the southern part of Upper Austria and Salzburg; the British Styria, Carinthia, and East Tyrol; the French North Tyrol and Vorarlberg. In Vienna, the city centre (the first district) was placed under joint four-power control, while the remaining "old" districts were divided as follows: districts 2, 4, 10, 20, 21 Soviet; districts 7, 8, 9, 17, 18, 19 American; districts 3, 5, 11, 12, 13 British; districts 6, 14, 15, 16 French. This division remained until the Austrian State Treaty came into force on July 27,1955 and characterised the first 10 years of the Second Republic. In August 1945 the Western powers took control of their respective Viennese zones; on September 11 the Allied Council was constituted, which was made up of the four commanders-in-chief (later the ambassadors) acting as high commissioners. They had supreme power of decision and met on a monthly basis in Vienna under rotating chairmanship. The Second Control Agreement of June 28, 1946 extended the authority of the Austrian government.

While initially the occupying armies numbered 700,000 men, by 1955 the Western powers were reduced to around 20,000 and the Soviet forces to 40,000. The occupation costs had to be covered by Austria (initially making up 35% of its budget; from December 3, 1946, this went down to 15%). In 1947 the US declared that it would pay its own occupation costs; the other three powers followed suit in 1953.

The occupation powers also intervened in local affairs in their zones. The Soviet Union confiscated German Assets in its zone in 1946.
Text source in extracts:
aeiou - das kulturinformationssystem des bm:bwk
14.000 keywords and 2000 images from Austrian history, geography, politics and economics
www.aeiou.at
further Information about
Occupation of Austria
post to a friend print nach oben top of page
Views of Vienna
Aqua Terra Zoo
Augarten
Belvedere Palace
Danube Tower
Donauinsel
Eroicahaus
Gasometer
Grinzing
Hundertwasser House
Kärntnerstraße
Konzerthaus
Mozart's Apartment
Museum of
Military History

Musikvereinshaus
Naschmarkt
Spanish Court
Riding School

Parliament Building
Prater
Riesenrad
(Giant Ferris Wheel)

Schönbrunn Palace
Secession
State Opera
St. Stephen’s Cathedral
Virgilkapelle
Zoo Vienna
History
Carnuntum
Siege of Vienna 1529
Battle of Vienna 1683
Maria Theresia
W. A. Mozart
Ludwig v. Beethoven
Battle of Aspern 1809
Battle of Wagram 1809
Congress of Vienna
Johann Strauß
Franz Joseph I
Sisi - Empress Elisabeth
Sisi Part 2
Austro-Hungary Empire
Sigmund Freud
Anschluß 1938
Bombing of Vienna
Flak towers
Vienna Offensive 1945
Occupation
State Treaty
Summit 1961
OPEC raid 1975
SALT II treaty 1979
Austromir 1991
Vienna
General Information
Location
Countryside
Climate
Population
Economy
Tourism
Transportation
Public Facilities
Art, culture
and science

State Constitution
Austrian Armed Forces
Religion
The Third Man
Fiaker
Sachertorte
Coffee
Viennese Schnitzel
Wiener Hafen
Twin City Liner
Vienna Airport
OPEC
UNO City
IAEA
U.S. Embassy
 
 
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Internet Portal
Betriebsges.m.b.H.

Praterstrasse 33/20
A-1020 Vienna
Tel: +43/01/9580808
Fax: +43/01/9580909
E-Mail: office@citype.com
www.citype.com
FN 200659 m
ATU 50515900
Informationspflicht lt. E-Commerce-Gesetz (ECG)
 
WIEN-VIENNA.AT associates itself with a liberal, tolerant, cosmopolitan, ecumenical and politically neutral world view.
Diversity of information and the support of free formation of opinion for people of every age, every social levels, cultures, denominations and political orientations are matters of concern for us.
WIEN-VIENNA.AT is a link and information platform with the aim to inform about Vienna while at the same time creating a collection of links from official and private Vienna-related internet pages. We strive to maximise the density of the presented information about Vienna. In part, contents of this link and information platform originate from websites about Vienna. Images and texts where the author is known are provided with an acknowledgement and a link to the respective site. In case of breached property rights with certain images, we kindly ask you to notify us and we will remove the respective images or excerpts from the platform or we will add an appropriate acknowledgement of ownership.
design by gaube - 2003