Grinzing was an independent parish until
1892 and is today a part of Döbling, the 19th district of Vienna.
Grinzing lies in the northwest part of Vienna and is the largest part of
Döbling. Josefsdorf borders to the northeast, and the border continues
along the Wildgrube and the Schreiberbach stream towards the east and
then swings along Springsiedelgasse and Neugebauerweg streets to the
south. The border runs along Hungerbergstraße to Unterdöbling (lower
Döbling), which separates Grinzing's Kass Graveyard from Sievering. The
border finishes in the northwest, running along Himmelstraße und
Spießweg streets to the city border, which separates Grinzing from
Many parts of Grinzing are forested
ridges of the Wienerwald (Vienna Woods). Hermannskogel, the tallest hill
in Vienna, is also located here, near the border to Lower Austria. Other
well-known hills are located here,
including the Reisenberg, Latisberg,
Vogelsangberg, Hungerberg, and Pfaffenberg. The wooded areas contain
various streams, including the Schreiberbach, which runs largely
untouched through the Wildgrube to Nußdorf. The Reisenberg Stream
begins here and runs westward, and in the headwaters
of Arbesbach also form in the western
part of Grinzing. A further characteristic of the area are the
grapevines, most notably the ones on Reisenberg and on Hungerberg.
The name "Grinzing" is a name that means
"of the people who belong to a man named Grinzo". Many German words
ending in "ing" are indicators of membership to a Sippe. The first
appearance of the name Grinzing occurred in 1114, when it was called
Grinzigan. The village of Grinzing was founded in the 11th century by
the family Grunzing. They built the Trummelhof (Trummel square or yard),
from which relics are still found
today at a house located at Cobenzlgasse 30.
This former manor got its name because it was built on top of Roman
ruins. Winemakers and day laborers lived in the village to support
the monasteries and rich Vienna bourgeois. The last of the line of
the Grunzingen, Rüdiger von Gründsing, died in the 14th century, and
he was buried in 1350 in the Viennese church Minoritenkirche.
Grinzing was under the jurisdiction of the monastery Stift
Klosterneuburg, which retained its authority into the 19th century.
The church "Zum heiligen Kreuz" (Of the Holy Cross) was erected in
Grinzing fell under numerous catastrophes
in the following years. Matthias Corvinus ravaged the village in 1484
and the Turks caused a lot of damage in 1529. In 1604, a large fire
burned the village to the ground, and in 1683 the Turks destroyed the
newly rebuilt town. Nevertheless, Grinzing developed and grew faster
than all the neighboring villages. By 1713, the village, which had grown
to hold 70 houses, contracted the plague. More than half the houses were
contaminated and 129 people died. The affliction stunted the village's
growth. Joseph II razed local fraternal manors, an action that provided
funding to build the Grinzing and Pfarrkirche churches in 1783. In the
following years, the Grinzing developed slowly. From 1795 to 1822, 83
houses turned into 99 houses, and no more were built until 1835. The
village had 835 residents in 1831, negligibly larger than it had in
1795. The village then experienced rapid growth, and by 1890, 1421
people inhabited 209 houses.
In 1892, Grinzing had expanded up to the edge of the Wienerwald and was
bound with Oberdöbling, Unterdöbling, and their suburbs
(Kahlenbergerdorf, Nußdorf, Heiligenstadt, Sievering and Josefsdorf) to
become the 19th district of Vienna, Döbling.
Grinzing is known for its numerous
Heurigens, a wine-drinking locale special to Vienna. Other attractions
include the Pfarrkirche and the Kaasgrabenkirche. A peel tower of the
Habsburg dynasty, and the Hermannskogel are located in part of the
spacious Wienerwald, and the restaurant "Cobenzland and a Karl Lueger
monument are located on the Reisenberg stream.
Heuriger is the name given to many
Austrian wine-drinking locales where patrons can experience
Gemütlichkeit. Originally only the most recent year's wine was served at
such an establishment. heurig meaning this year's (as an adjective) in
Austrian German; thus, a Heuriger.
A Heuriger has legal limitations
different from those of a tavern or restaurant. Only its own wine can be
served, and it is limited to serving a limited selection of food from a
buffet. Many places still provide a very nice selection of small cold
dishes, for example Liptauer spread and even several different hot
plates, for example Wiener Schnitzel. Additionally, a Heuriger can only
be open a certain amount of time per year. In areas with many Heurigen,
people generally know about the scheduled openings of other
establishments, and it is usually guaranteed that there will be at least
one or more Heurigen open. Open Heurigen indicate that guests are
welcome with a couple of conifer or fir twigs, or Buschen, hung above
the entrance door.
For financial reasons, many Heurigen are opening attached restaurants
that sell other foods and also beer, for example. Purists would consider
At the beginning of the 20th century, it was customary to bring one's
own food, or other drinks, to a Heuriger. To make an establishment more
profitable, in many places, the place would be leased to different
winemakers or winzers. These establishments therefore have the name
On August 17, 1784, Austrian Emperor Joseph II issued the decree that
permitted all residents to open establishments to sell and serve wine.
Today, of course, Heurigen are regulated by Austrian state governments
like Vienna, Lower Austria, Burgenland and Styria.
Text source in extracts:
WIKIPEDIA - the free
Wikipedia is a free encyclopedia
with more than 100 languages, where everyone can
contribute with their knowledge
E-Mail: email@example.com www.citype.com
FN 200659 m
WIEN-VIENNA.AT associates itself
with a liberal, tolerant, cosmopolitan, ecumenical and politically
neutral world view.
Diversity of information and the support of free formation of
opinion for people of every age, every social levels, cultures,
denominations and political orientations are matters of concern for
WIEN-VIENNA.AT is a link and information platform with the aim to
inform about Vienna while at the same time creating a collection of
links from official and private Vienna-related internet pages. We
strive to maximise the density of the presented information about
Vienna. In part, contents of this link and information platform
originate from websites about Vienna. Images and texts where the
author is known are provided with an acknowledgement and a link to
the respective site. In case of breached property rights with
certain images, we kindly ask you to notify us and we will remove
the respective images or excerpts from the platform or we will add
an appropriate acknowledgement of ownership.