blank.gif (65 Byte)
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
 
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
 
 
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
 
 
 
 
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
 
Carnuntum
from  www.aeiou.at - Video Album
© Copyright:
ORF - Archives
Carnuntum: Flight over the "Heathens` Gate" and Roman amphitheater
Carnuntum, most important ancient Roman settlement in Austria. Situated in the area between present-day Petronell-Carnuntum and Bad Deutsch-Altenburg (Lower Austria). The name C. was taken over from a pre-Roman settlement. C. is mentioned in the works of Velleius Paterculus, Pliny the Elder, the astronomer Ptolemaios, in the "Meditations" of Emperor Marcus Aurelius (the 3rd book of which he wrote at C.), in the vita of Septimius Severus, in the works of Ammianus Marcellinus and many other texts of late Antiquity,
the Tabula Peutingeriana, Itinerarium Antonini and the Notitia Dignitatum. The oldest archaeological finds from the area of the military camp date from the middle of the 1st century A.D. The civilian town of C. became the capital of the province under Emperor Trajan (98-117 A.D.) (Pannonia) as well as seat of the governor; Emperor Hadrian (117-138 A.D.) made it an independent town, Municipium Aelium C., and Emperor Septimius Severus (193-211 A.D.), who was proclaimed emperor at C., gave it the status of a Colonia. In late Antiquity a legion and a Danube fleet were stationed at C. and an emperors´ conference was held there 307 or 308 A.D. Around 350 A.D. an earthquake caused serious damage and marked the beginning its decline. Under Emperor Valentinian I Carnuntum served as headquarters in the war against the Quadi and Sarmatians in 375.

Military area:
 The military camp was situated between today's Petronell and Bad Deutsch-Altenburg, in the shape of an irregular polygon 490 m in length and between 334 m and 391 m in width, its front side, which faced the Danube, has been swept away by the river. To the west lies a minor camp for supporting troops. The town situated before the camp (canabae legionis) had its own forum, thermal baths and an amphitheatre for 8,000 people; a temple district where oriental deities were worshipped was discovered during the excavation works.
Civilian area:
The large thermal baths were what is now called the palace ruin, which was adapted for representative purposes around 300. The amphitheatre close to the Heidentor had a seating capacity of 13,000. The hypothesis claiming that the buildings at the southern portal were an early Christian church and baptistry remains unproven. Today two Roman aqueducts still carry water; they were made of bricks and it was even possible to walk in them. A temple district for the Roman state cult, monuments for the worship of the emperors Hadrian and Marcus Aurelius, a cult theatre, numerous altars and inscriptions were built on top of the Pfaffenberg hill. Finds are exhibited in the newly designed Museum Carnuntinum; archaeological park; Festival Art Carnuntum
Text source in extracts:
aeiou - das kulturinformationssystem des bm:bwk
14.000 keywords and 2000 images from Austrian history, geography, politics and economics
www.aeiou.at
map
post to a friend print nach oben top of page
Views of Vienna
Aqua Terra Zoo
Augarten
Belvedere Palace
Danube Tower
Donauinsel
Eroicahaus
Gasometer
Grinzing
Hundertwasser House
Kärntnerstraße
Konzerthaus
Mozart's Apartment
Museum of
Military History

Musikvereinshaus
Naschmarkt
Spanish Court
Riding School

Parliament Building
Prater
Riesenrad
(Giant Ferris Wheel)

Schönbrunn Palace
Secession
State Opera
St. Stephen’s Cathedral
Virgilkapelle
Zoo Vienna
History
Carnuntum
Siege of Vienna 1529
Battle of Vienna 1683
Maria Theresia
W. A. Mozart
Ludwig v. Beethoven
Battle of Aspern 1809
Battle of Wagram 1809
Congress of Vienna
Johann Strauß
Franz Joseph I
Sisi - Empress Elisabeth
Sisi Part 2
Austro-Hungary Empire
Sigmund Freud
Anschluß 1938
Bombing of Vienna
Flak towers
Vienna Offensive 1945
Occupation
State Treaty
Summit 1961
OPEC raid 1975
SALT II treaty 1979
Austromir 1991
Vienna
General Information
Location
Countryside
Climate
Population
Economy
Tourism
Transportation
Public Facilities
Art, culture
and science

State Constitution
Austrian Armed Forces
Religion
The Third Man
Fiaker
Sachertorte
Coffee
Viennese Schnitzel
Wiener Hafen
Twin City Liner
Vienna Airport
OPEC
UNO City
IAEA
U.S. Embassy
 
 
blank.gif (65 Byte)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Internet Portal
Betriebsges.m.b.H.

Praterstrasse 33/20
A-1020 Vienna
Tel: +43/01/9580808
Fax: +43/01/9580909
E-Mail: office@citype.com
www.citype.com
FN 200659 m
ATU 50515900
Informationspflicht lt. E-Commerce-Gesetz (ECG)
 
WIEN-VIENNA.AT associates itself with a liberal, tolerant, cosmopolitan, ecumenical and politically neutral world view.
Diversity of information and the support of free formation of opinion for people of every age, every social levels, cultures, denominations and political orientations are matters of concern for us.
WIEN-VIENNA.AT is a link and information platform with the aim to inform about Vienna while at the same time creating a collection of links from official and private Vienna-related internet pages. We strive to maximise the density of the presented information about Vienna. In part, contents of this link and information platform originate from websites about Vienna. Images and texts where the author is known are provided with an acknowledgement and a link to the respective site. In case of breached property rights with certain images, we kindly ask you to notify us and we will remove the respective images or excerpts from the platform or we will add an appropriate acknowledgement of ownership.
design by gaube - 2003